|Goa is the smallest state of the Republic of India and yet one of the best known. Covering an area of 3700 km2, it houses 1.3 million people, the Goan. Panaji is the capital and the official language is Konkani. Former Portuguese colony, Goa has become since its accession to India in 1961, a tropical paradise for a lot of Western scenery. Like Pondicherry , the cities of Goa have kept the retro architecture of European cities. The presence of Catholics is still very strong. Goa not only offers picture postcard landscapes but also many places to visit. The first references of Goa are in the Mahabharata as the Gomantak.There is already talking of its appearance and fertile paradise. || |
|Known Greek and Arab travellers in the region of Goa was under the tutelage of numerous kingdoms that of Ashoka in the 3rd century BC Many dynasties contended for the control of Goa which was however never a penalty. In 1510, when the Portuguese landed in Goa, the region was ruled by Muslims. The Portuguese had already built a few forts in Kerala , needed a port to control the spice trade. They come in force and leave the Catholic Inquisition lash out against non-Christians. In the mid 17th century the influence of the Portuguese declined against the British but they manage to keep Goa. In the early 20th century colonialism is slammed. In 1947 India gained independence in 1961 but will have to wait before retrieving Goa by force.Goa now lives mainly in the fishing and tourism development which tends to distort the anarchic nature sites. |
The capital of the state of Goa is a charming little town in Latin style. Time of the Portuguese called the city Panjim. In 1759 the Viceroy Dom Manuel de Saldanha de Albuquerque moved and settled in Panjim at the fort Adil Shah. The city developed only under the government of Dom Manuel de Castro of Portugal (1826-1835). He laid out the town, built many buildings and a drainage system. On March 22, 1843 a royal decree made it the capital of the region. Today is traditionally divided the city into two districts: Fontainhas and Sao Thome.
Place to See....
Our Lady of The Immaculate Conception
Built in 1541 and rebuilt in 1619 it would be one of the oldest churches in India. Portuguese sailors were accustomed to come and gather here on arrival at Goa. She is known for its curious zigzag staircase added in the 19th century and its big clock. A chapel dedicated to Saint Francis Xavier is located inside and two altars of baroque style.
This monument in the shape of a triumphal arch was erected in 1591 by the founder of Hyderabad, Mohammed Quli, to celebrate the end of a plague epidemic.The four columns, surmounted by minarets, measuring 49 meters high and the arches are oriented to face the four cardinal points. The area of the Charminar is famous for its bazaars, including the Laad Bazaar, where there are all kinds of goods (pearls, perfumes, saris, jewelry, etc ...)
Hall of Mahalaxmi
This temple was built in 1818 with the permission of the Portuguese after 300 years of prohibition. The deity of the temple of black stone comes from the village of Taleigao Bicholim and was hidden in the 16th century to escape the destruction.
The Old Quarters
The old quarters of Sao Thome and Fontainhas are the oldest and most picturesque Goa. The narrow cobbled streets lined with small houses painted shutters and balconies reminiscent of the villages of Portugal. The small chapel of St. Sebastian does not look anything but beautiful objects which contains a crucifix on which Christ's eyes are open.
Old Goa was under the name of Elah, the capital of the region during the reign of Adil Shah. She nearly even becomes the capital of the kingdom of Bijapur , but the arrival of the Portuguese decided otherwise. They made it a magnificent city was nicknamed the "Lisbon of the East". In 1759, the seat of the viceroyalty was moved to Panaji . After losing its status as capital in 1843, Old Goa declined rapidly. Even today Old Goa is a city of pilgrimage for Catholics.
Place to See....
The Portuguese built the first church there in 1510 and a second in place in 1515. It became a cathedral in 1538 with the creation of the Diocese of Goa. The building as it appears today was built between 1562 and 1652 by decision of Viceroy. Its exterior architecture blends Tuscan and Doric style while the interior is inspired by Corinthian. Originally the building consisted of two towers collapsed, but the North in 1776. The south tower has a very large bell called "the golden bell." The interior contains beautiful richly decorated chapels.
Church Saint Francis of Assisi
The convent and the Church of St. Francis were founded by the Franciscans who arrived in Goa in 1517. There was then a chapel consecrated in church in 1521. In 1835 the monastery was closed by the Portuguese and the monks expelled. Since 1964, it houses the archaeological museum. The church was rebuilt in 1661 in the Tuscan style for outside and in the Corinthian style for the interior. You can admire paintings and frescoes Bible. Of the six chapels of origin, there are only three. A wooden statue of St. Francis of Assisi is located in one of them.
The Basilica of Bom Jesus
The most famous religious buildings of Goa as it house the relics of Saint Francis Xavier, patron saint of Goa. This Jesuit was sent to the East in 1541 to evangelize the Portuguese colonies. He died in China and his follower’s constatèrent incorruptibility of his body and brought him back to India. The miracle was recognized by the Church and Francis Xavier was canonized in 1662. The relics of the body are contained in a crystal urn in 1955, itself enclosed in a glass coffin. They are subject to a public display every ten years. The chapel that hosts is a masterpiece of Italian art. It has beautiful paintings with the subject the saint's life. The construction of the basilica began in 1594 and was dedicated May 15, 1605. The main altar is covered with gold. It is dominated by a large statue of Saint Ignatius of Loyola. In the nave we see the cenotaph of Dom Jeronimo Mascarenhas, Captain of Cochin and benefactor of the church.
The Ruins of The Church of Saint Augustine
This church built in 1602 leaving only the tower 46 meters high. At the end of its construction, the Church of St. Augustine was probably the largest in Goa, but after the departure of religion in 1835 it fell into disrepair. In 1871, the bell was installed in the tower was in the church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Panaji . The facade collapsed in 1931 and the remainder in 1938.
The Church and The Convent Santa Monica
The construction of the convent began in 1506 under the auspices of the Archbishop Dom Frei Alexio de Menezes and ended in 1627. In 1636, King of Portugal agreed to be godfather. That's why we spoke of the royal convent of Santa Monica. It could accommodate hundreds of nuns and served as a venue for the wives during the absence of their husbands. The convent was closed in 1885. Today it houses the theological center of the Institute Matar Dei. The church is home to classic "the miraculous cross." According to legend, February 8, 1636, blood flowed from the wounds of Christ crucified and his eyes were opened.The miracle was witnessed on August 24 of that year.
La ville de Ponda n'a rien de particulier en elle-même mais elle est considérée comme le coeur hindouiste de Goa en raison de la présence de nombreux temples dans sa région. C'est en effet ici que la plupart des hindous fuyaient les persécutions portugaises. La plupart des temples ont été construits pour abriter les représentations des divinités que les fidèles protégeaient de la destruction.
Place to See....
Le Temple De Sri Mangesh
This elegant 18th century temple is one of the largest in Goa. He combines Indian and Portuguese styles. It is dedicated to Mangheshi, one of the incarnations ofShiva . Inside are two shrines dedicated to Parvati and Ganesh . The basin is the oldest part of the temple. Outside of a beautiful student tour to six floors, adeepstambha typical Goan architecture.
Mahalsa Narayan Temple
This temple was built in the early 16th century in honor of Mahalsa Narayani, a female incarnation of Vishnu . The temple is known to house a beautiful representation of Garuda, the winged steed of Vishnu. Outside is a deepstambha to six levels.
Built in 1738 this beautiful temple is dedicated to Shantadurga, incarnation of Parvati and goddess of peace. The main sanctuary contains a representation of Shantadurga surrounded by Shiva and Vishnu . Like many others, the temple is flanked by a deepstambha and a ratha (chariot carved).
As stated in an inscription inside, this temple was erected in 1413 to Nagesh, god of snakes and incarnation of Shiva . The main hall is decorated with wooden panels on which are depicted scenes from the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.In the holy of holies stands a lingam while at the temple entrance a Nandi welcomes the faithful.
The Temple of Sri Mahalakshmi
Located near the Temple Nagesh, it is dedicated to Mahalakshmi , wife of Vishnu . The peculiarity of the representation of this deity is that it is by a lingam, a symbol of Shiva, on the head. The main hall of the temple houses a unique collection of 18 wooden representations of Vishnu.
Mosque Safa Shahouri
This is the oldest and largest mosque in Goa. It was built as 25 others, by the Sultan of Bijapur Adil Shah in the 1560s. The pond in front of the mosque is from the period.
Goa is famous for its beaches that draw from the 60's of thousands of tourists looking for a thrill. They offer all sorts of activities day and night and each finds his paradise according to their desires and budget. The best and most popular are located north of Panaji (between Candolim and Chapora) and south Vasco da Gama.
This small fishing village has lost much of its charm due to the explosion of tourism. The beaches of Candolim and Sinquerim are busy. However, it offers good facilities and the area is pretty. Candolim is famous for the presence of Fort Aguada south of the city. This impressive defensive structure was built by the Portuguese in 1612 to protect the estuary of the Mandovi. Very well preserved today it offers a beautiful panorama.
The village of Calangute has long been one of the major points of rendezvous for hippies. Those days are over and gave way to mass tourism. Calangute is divided into quarters (the waddos ). To see, the Church of St. Alex built in 1741. As Candolim, Calangute beach is suffering from its success and is very popular. It offers plenty of activities but it is not the most beautiful beach. The road leading to it is lined with handicraft shops.It is better to go a little further north to Baga beach, less crowded and more enjoyable.
Anjuna is a mecca for revelers who gather for the famous full moon parties. The village also hosts every Wednesday a picturesque and famous flea market.There is everything and we can see amounts of merchants of different origin. The Anjuna Beach is one of the most beautiful in this part of the coast due to the presence of small bays sheltering groves of palm trees.
Vagator and Chapora
These two villages are close neighbors and their beaches are among the finest in the industry. The place is less crowded than the beaches that lie between Candolim and Anjuna and the atmosphere is more relaxed. The region is forested and certainly hinders the emergence of resorts. The village of Chapora is dominated by an old Portuguese fort. It marks the end of the coastline stretching from Chapora Fort Aguada up. It offers a spectacular view.
Colva is the largest of the southern beaches and was once the most picturesque. She is now disfigured in large part by real estate developments that have proliferated with the advent of mass tourism. In the days of Portuguese occupation it was used as places to walk in high society. Besides the beach you can see the statue of Colva "Menino Jesus" in the village church. This statuette dating from the 17th century is supposed to fulfill the wishes of the faithful.
According to Hindu mythology it was here that Parasuram, the sixth incarnation of Vishnu ,planted an arrow to roll back the waters.The place was baptized and became commonplace in Sanskrit Benaulim Portuguese. The place is famous for its calm and crafts.
Probably one of the most beautiful beaches of Goa with its perfect curve of white sand lined with palm trees. The place is however well known to tourists and it is no longer this little enclave of calm in the past. Fortunately the village of Palolem has escaped the developers and managed to stay in point.